Monday, June 11, 2012

College Possible

Last year, I received a note from the counselors' office showing a notification for me from College Possible. And the first thing I quickly noticed, was that the program helped many low-income families. At first, I felt offended and thinking, "Why did they give me this? How did they know I was from a low-income family?" There was going to be a meeting for it during my lunch, so of course I went and the coaches were very nice and helped many students with information for this program. I soon realized that if I joined I could be the first in my family to go to college. Unlike my family, I wasn't the first, a cousin beat me there. But it means that I could make my family proud, especially my mother, and show that I can possibly make it and graduate with a college degree. When that ended, I got received more news weeks after, informing me that I got in the program. At first, I was ecstatic and filled with joy that I can more after school. I also remembered from that meeting, Katie on first day of the program, she was our coach and I felt happy because she was so nice and seemed interested in us. She helped us with skills for the ACT test and also gave us information for summer opportunities. And if it wasn't for her showing me Summer Scholars, I'd probably be at home doing nothing. Once we finished the ACT, we kept working on resumes and many other stuff. At the end of year, we learned from her that she wasn't going to stay and was going back home to Minnesota. Instantly, I felt upset and depressed she wasn't going to be our coach for our senior year. But I accepted it and it would mean a lot for her that she does go back home to see her family. I know I would as well. Once my senior year starts, it means working on college applications and scholarships. And all without Katie. So thanks for a great junior year in College Possible :)

No comments:

Post a Comment